Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Today we’re joined by Jiva DeVoe of Random Ideas Software, who shares his thoughts on running and building an App Store business. Jiva shares his thoughts on returning to business fundamentals and why today’s indies could learn a thing or two from Mac indies of the pre-App Store era. He also explains why there’s never been a better time than now to be run a software business. We discuss the importance of a business plan, building reputation, and the dangers of blindly copying the examples of others – no matter how successful they are. Finally we consider the difference between running a business and running a company, and how that difference can affect those of us in the App Store.
Show Notes & Links
- Random Ideas Software – Jiva DeVoe’s software company
- Tough Love in the Age of App Store Entrepreneurship – Jiva’s blog post that prompted this discussion
- Purple Cow by Seth Godin – One of Jiva’s book recommendations
- Permission Marketing by Seth Godin – Jiva’s other book recommendation
- The E Myth by Michael E. Gerber – The book whose title Jiva couldn’t remember, and which he can’t recommend
This episode is sponsored by CocoaConf and their Fall tour of conferences for iOS and Mac developers. CocoaConf’s fall tour is a big one, and there are still dates coming up in Boston, MA (Oct 25-26); and Atlanta, GA (Nov 15-16). Register now for any of these events and use the discount code ReleaseNotes to receive 20% off the cost of your ticket.