Today we continue our discussion of Charles’ analysis of the distribution of App Store revenue, and the implications that it holds for indie developers. We talk about making a living, setting expectations, and achieving goals. We also consider what advice we’d give to people wanting to go indie, and take a close look at what exactly success looks like in today’s App Store.
We’re planning a conference! Release Notes will be held October 21-23, 2015 in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. If you would like to learn more about our conference on the business of iOS and Mac development, please visit our website at http://releasenotes.tv/conference.
Every month there are more great articles and content about the business of Mac and iOS development than we have time to discuss on the show. If you’d like to receive our monthly newsletter with the best of these links, as well as a summary of past episodes, and early access to conference tickets when they become available, be sure to sign up for our mailing list at http://releasenotes.tv/mailinglist.
Show Notes & Links
- The Shape of the App Store – Charles’ analysis of the distribution of revenue in the App Store.
- The Shape of the App Store, Redux – Charles presents some additional corroborating data.
- Overcast’s 2014 sales numbers – The original data set released by Marco Arment.
- Manual’s 2014 Sales Numbers – More revenue data from William Wilkinson.
- How to become an independent programmer in just 1068 days – An excellent story from Gus Mueller about how he took his time and built up a side business before taking the leap to go indie.
This episode is sponsored Vigil, the website monitoring service for your iPhone. When you use Vigil to monitor your website you’ll have the assurance of 24/7 monitoring. Vigil lets you know whenever there is a problem via push notification or email. Use the referral code NOTES when signing up, and you’ll receive a free month of service when you subscribe to any of their plans. Get more information about Vigil by visiting their website at http://vigil-app.com.